THE CATO BUSINESS DISTRICT
The business district, which is located along both Routes 34 and 370 in the center of the village, is the main commercial area for the village and the vicinity. The fire of 1918 destroyed many of the stores on the north side of West Main Street; these were later rebuilt. The only original structures remaining in that section are the hotel beyond and a store across the street. Businesses in the village are: a grocery store, hardware store, bank, post office, auto dealership, funeral home, telephone company, two restaurants, a service station, and a floral shop. There is also a modern library affiliated with the Finger Lakes Library System.
Essential services in the village include a modern fire department with an excellent rescue unit, all manned by volunteers, and a family physician and dentist, in offices just east of the village near the school. There are two hospitals within 20 minutes drive, in Auburn and in Fulton, and three major medical establishments in Syracuse. The rescue unit is our lifeline to these facilities.
There is a need to bring small businesses in to help widen the tax base. The telephone company already has fiber optic lines installed, and Time Warner Cable services the Village, making Cato computer friendly. In addition, there are two toll-free telephone exchanges (Syracuse and Auburn), which can accommodate 21st Century requirements.